2018 KBF Trail 30 Lake Wanahoo, NE


Being a photographer, I rarely enter tournaments.  The few that I have entered, I've been so caught up in photographing the sunrise, other people catching fish and anything shiny that I forget to do any fishing for myself.  And that's what I figured would happen with this tournament as well.  However, that's not what happened.  This is probably the first time I've fished a full day in a zone that I didn't even know I had.  
Picking up a few fish quickly enthused me.  Being the first one to pick up 5 fish got me motivated.  Then after an hour or so of not really catching anything, I ran into Nate "The Wizard of Wanahoo" Gloria where he told me that he needed one more to have 5 on the board.  I then realized that he was right behind me in 2nd.  Seconds later, he caught his 5th fish and passed me for first.  While I watched.  This was fuel for the fire.  I must have thrown that spinner bait 2,000 times using a technique my buddy Joseph Sanderson taught me a few years back.  
Towards the end of the day, when my energy levels were low, I ran into AJ Mcwhorter on the water.  I was in 5th or 6th and he reminded me to just keep grinding.  Just that little bit of encouragement got me going again, casting at every thing that looked fishy (twice).  With 30 minutes left in the tournament, I landed my biggest fish of the day (17.5) and jumped into 3rd place.  A couple of casts later I lost the spinner bait that I had been throwing all day.  When I went to check the standings, I had just been passed.  It was a tight finish and I ended up in 4th place beating the Wizard of Wanahoo by 1/4 of an inch.  "my greatest fishing achievement so far"  
After a long bass fishing drought, this day of fun and excitement really fueled my love for bass fishing again.   
Thank you KBF, Wanahoo Lake and all of the awesome people that make up this sport!

Here are some of the pics that I did take during the trip.
Hope you enjoy and for more of my work you can check out my website at https://www.doskophoto.com/index

Paul Bissonnette gearing up for a little pre-fishing

Roger Colledge on the water

Thank You Dick for the spinnerbait advice 




It's always good to see these two








Nate's 5th bass of the day and the moment after he passed me for 1st. 

After hanging with this guy for a minute, I threw a frog for about an hour.  No Luck
Look at those legs though!

3rd Place - Adam DeWitt
2nd Place - Marty Hughes 

The Winner - Joshua Workman


Comments

Popular Posts